Sunday, June 18, 2006

Dutty Wine

Jamaicans are known worldwide for the creation of various dance moves for almost every song that is hot on the charts. From the ska to the della move, to the world dance, to the batty rider, to the gangster rock, to the pon di river, pon di bank and now ... the latest dance craze appropriately named, THE DUTTY WINE. As you can see, it takes some amount of skill to do this dance.

One of the cable channels, Juice TV, had a Dutty Wine contest and I was amazed at the extent to which some of these women dutty wined for a T-Shirt, phone credit and a gift basket. It was reported that one woman actually broke her neck doing this dance. The more explicit versions see women going down almost flat on their stomachs with ass (and more) in the air executing the moves with such energy and enthusiasm, that you would think their life depended on it.

I find the dance quite interesting myself and would love to try doing it one day. I really like my neck though :)

More time.

8 comments:

Scratchie said...

Would you care to expand on the (and more) part? :D

CoolDestiny said...

He he scratchie. You're a big boy. I'm sure you can fill in the blanks :)

Rev Island said...

Gwaan like seh you cyaan Dutty wine, Cho..

Unknown said...

Yes I have seen the competitions on Juice TV myself! Some serious Dutty Whinig on that show. Dutty Whine has certainly taken over the dancehall. I have read in the gleaner that doctors have been warning aboout it.

Abeni said...

LOl@losing her weave.So CD you gon take me to a club next mth? We can show them our moves:)

CoolDestiny said...

Ha Abeni! As I said, I love my neck a whole lot ... so no dutty wining for me! But have lots of other moves to show you!!

Mad Bull said...

Dutty wine, my girl dutty wine! CD, when you try it, make sure to capture it on video and post it up for us all to see...

Mad Bull said...

Rastafari! Dat girl deh gifted! In so many ways! CD, tell me say is you dat!?