Monday, November 15, 2004

Liar Liar Pants on Fire ... Helping My Torture

Today was equally depressing but more bearable being at work and all. It is amazing how easily I fit into any environment in which I work. I’ve hit the ground running in BVI, interacting with customers. People have even commented on how professional I am and how at ease I look with the customers I have dealt with. It was very busy today but welcomed as it takes my mind off the inevitable situation in which I find myself. Think I may just get drunk tonight … hhhmmmm, interesting thought.

Anyhoo, I am now in the “comfort” of my hotel room, watching one of my favourite Jim Carrey movies, Liar Liar. This movie is one of his most hilarious in my opinion and it got me thinking what it would be like for the world if we couldn’t lie. I mean, lying has become so commonplace in our society that it is as accepted as pre-marital sex now a days (yes, the last time I checked, having sex before marriage, aka fornication was still a sin).

We seem to lie about the simplest things. IMHO (Thanks Scratchie), I think that it is impossible to go through this life without lying. However, it should be the exception rather than the norm. For example, if one needs to lie to save a life or to spare the feelings of another, then I completely support lies under these conditions. Such as, in Liar Liar, Jim Carrey’s character Fletcher Reid explained to his son that when his mother was pregnant and had gained 40 lbs, she asked him how she looked and he told her that she was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. In truth, he thought she looked like a cow but spared her feelings by telling her a lie about how beautiful she looked at that time. This I think is acceptable and any similar situation. Lying to save your life, say if you are being held up by a man at gun point, whatever it takes to save your life, I say do it. What I don’t appreciate or support is the casual liar who tells “white lies” as we call it. Lies for no good reason are despicable and should be avoided at all costs. Like lying to cover up a wrong we did or to get someone else in trouble or to make ourselves look good to others … Contemptible. It is said that once you start to lie, you can’t stop because you lie then tell another lie to cover up the 1st lie and before you know it, you are so caught up in the lie that it either catches up on you or you actually start to believe it to be the truth and a reality.

Now, I lie too just like the average person. However, I try to live my life in such a way that I do not need to do it more than is absolutely necessary.

I deserve a pat on the back … don’t I??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cool Destiny, I see you have opened up the comment box to 'strangers'.

I think we have all told the occasional 'white lie' but if lying becomes a regular thing, it is not good.

Have never been to BVIs but I may just get there one day. Dr. D.