Sunday, July 31, 2005

Travel Horror Stories ... And Then Some ...

My previous post spoke of a trip away from home. The destination this time around was Barbados. With all the excitement of Miss Emily and the closing of the airport road, up to Sunday morning, I was still unsure of what would happen at this point. However, our travel agent called to let us know that the airport road was opened and that some flights were delayed (as was the case with ours) or cancelled but we should go to establish the status of our flight. So, I arrived at the airport at about 9:50 a.m. after much rush to get all packed, say goodbyes, give kisses and start on the journey that I wish I didn't have to do. Little did I know that with the series of events that followed, it because the trip from hell (again!).

The flight had been delayed until 2:30. At 2:30 we heard that the flight was again delayed till 3:30, then till 4:25. At about 4:45, we started to board the plane, only to be told thatwe would not be able to board because the security checks had not been done. We were finally allowed to board the plan at about 5:05 p.m. While on board, we had to again wait until the catering service came with the food for the plane. We finally left at about 5:35 p.m. So, we're on our way, and I'm thinking, finally, we're on our way and hopefully will reach and all will be well. Ha! Fat chance of that happening! About 45 minutes into the flight, the pursar came on the horn and gave her usual update, only in her monologue, she made no mention of "continuing service to Barbados" but only spoke to people getting off in Grenada. Of course, all the Barbados-destined passengers started to enquire about what was happening. Miss Pursar came back on the horn and said: "To our passengers destined for Barbados, unfortunately (this is not a word you want to hear when you're in an airplane 35,000 ft above land) we do not have any information to provide at this time, further info should be available when we get to Barbados".

You can imagine my distress when after speaking with the pursar myself, she telling me a bunch of crap about the airline's contingency in the event of a hurricane blah blah blah and storage of equipment in non-affected areas and the need to retrieve such equipment. So I said to her quite calmly .. "Why unu mek wi board di plane in Ja if unu did well know seh we would not be going to Barbados???" ... She couldn't answer the question.

So ... 'WELCOME TO GRENADA'. We arrived about after 10, claimed our luggage and was transported to "The Flamboyant Hotel" (believe me, nothing flamboyant about it) where we spent the night and ate at Air J's expense till the next day.

Upon arriving to the airport the following day, our flight was again delayed and we left at about 5:25 p.m. and arrived in Barbados on Monday evening at 6:05 p.m. Needless to say, a colleague of ours was leaving on B-Wee on Monday afternoon and he arrived the same time we did coming from Grenada!

I wish I will never have to travel again! It has been so unpleasant for me the last 3 times.

The silver lining behind my travel cloud was to arrive at the newly opened Hilton Barbados where we stayed this time around. Can you all say F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S!!! Di place bashy, tuff and just plain nice. I just wish I was there on vacation and not to work and that the BF and I could be rolling around in the sack or getting it on in the see through shower in the room! Wow!!

I did develop the flu on Tuesday night which sort of put a little damper on the stay but apart from that, it was an ok trip. I had the opportunity to eat at a greek restaurant which wasn't all that but at least now I can say I've had greek food, Souvlaki to be exact!!

More time everyone.

PS. This post was long overdue! I started writing this on July 19 ... better late than never!

2 comments:

SunsetMan said...

Damn girl you have all the luck (as in bad luck).

Now that you are home snuggle up to your BF and relax. You deserve it.

Angry Dog said...

Raatid CD, I was wondering about you and the hurricane....sorry to hear that the flights were unpleasant! Thank God I never travel this summer here sah!